Unauthorized Ultra Pure Colloidal Silver Product May Pose Serious Health Risk
- Starting date:
- December 22, 2017
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Important Safety Information
- General Public
- Identification number:
Health Canada is advising Canadians, especially children and pregnant women, not to use the unauthorized product Ultra Pure Colloidal Silver by ECG Naturals because it may pose a serious risk to health. Consumers taking this product are at risk of developing a condition called generalized argyria, which is the permanent bluish-gray discolouration of the skin, eyes and nails. At this time, there is no scientific evidence that supports the use of colloidal silver for any specific disease or condition in humans.
The product may have been sold at retail stores across Canada.
Ultra Pure Colloidal Silver (see pictures below)
What you should do
- Stop using this product. Consult with your health care professional if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit DIN, DIN-HM or NPN. You can also check if products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada’s Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑866‑234‑2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑800‑267‑9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
Consumers who have bought or used this product.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada has requested that the company, ECG Naturals, stop the sale of the unauthorized product. Should additional retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window