Unauthorized health products seized from Better Bodies Supplements in Airdrie, Alta.
- Starting date:
- June 26, 2015
- Type of communication:
- Drugs, Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
Health Canada is informing Canadians that eight unauthorized health products (listed in the table below) were seized from Better Bodies Supplements, 118 Main Street North, in Airdrie, Alta. These products were also available for purchase from the retailer’s online store, "Better Bodies Nutrition". The products contain a combination of ingredients (synephrine/ephedrine/ephedra, caffeine and L-dopa) that can cause serious health risks.
Who is affected
Consumers who have bought or used any of these eight products, particularly consumers with heart conditions, high blood pressure or diabetes.
What consumers should do
- Consult your doctor if you have used any of these eight products and have health concerns.
- Read the label of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) or a Natural Product Number (NPN) on the label.Products that have been authorized for sale can be found by searching the Drug Product Database and the Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report any adverse events to Health Canada.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free to 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada has seized the products from the retail location and confirmed that the products have been removed from retailer's online store, "Better Bodies Nutrition". Should additional retailers or distributors of these products be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians. Health Canada is also assessing the retailer's website and will take appropriate action should any additional unauthorized products be identified for sale.
Synephrine/ephedrine and caffeine, when combined, may cause serious and possibly fatal adverse effects. Ephedrine taken in combination with caffeine can cause symptoms ranging from dizziness, tremors, headaches and irregularities in heart rate to seizures, psychosis, heart attacks and stroke.
L-Dopa, also known as levodopa, is authorized as a prescription drug when combined with other drug ingredients in anti-Parkinson's medications. Levodopa may interact with drugs prescribed for high blood pressure, and should not be used by women who are pregnant, who plan to become pregnant or who are breastfeeding. It should also not be taken by people with narrow angle glaucoma; untreated heart, liver, kidney, lung or hormonal diseases; a history of melanoma, or those who should not take drugs such as isoproterenol, amphetamines or epinephrine. General symptoms that can occur while taking levodopa which require medical attention include: uncontrollable movements of the face, eyelids, mouth, tongue, neck, arms, hands, or legs; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; an irregular heartbeat or fluttering in the chest; feeling lightheaded when standing quickly, or unusual changes in mood or behaviour. .
|Product Name||Labelled ingredients|
West Pharm ThermaLean
West Pharm Hydro-lean
|Nutrex Research Hemo Rage Black - Lunatic Lemonade (265g)||
Nutrex Research Hemo Rage Black - Apple Ambush
Nutrex Research Hemo Rage Black - Bruisin' Berry
Nutrex Research Hemo Rage Black - Sucker Punch
Nutrex Research Hemo Rage Black - Malicious Melon
Nutrex Research Hemo Rage Black - Orange Creamation
Report health or safety concerns
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window